Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Peck on the Cheek - Mani Ratnam

I watched this Indian film today and I was very curious about the symbolism of rain. It happened at the end of the movie when the mother was reunited with her daughter (sorry to spoil it) and I was thoroughly confused as to why the director chose the thunderous rain as the background noise of this scene. There were various other instances in the movie that confused me as far as the reasoning behind certain camera shots or character expressions. The characters and their body language and expressions threw me off a lot and I kept misinterpreting what they were doing. Anyway, I decided to google the rain thing and found that rain is a symbol of romance. That confused me more and so I looked up the definition of romance, because this scene wasn't portraying what I thought of as a "romance". But dear Merriam-Webster has failed me and I am still left with this insatiable feeling. If anyone has insight on this matter (rain symbolism in movies) please let me know. It's killing me.

No comments: