Monday, May 25, 2009

hiking

I went camping and hiking with my roommate and some geology students at the Canyonlands National Park after winter finals. It was a pretty sweet deal because we got the geology department to sponsor the trip and my roommate and I aren't geology majors, but we do have friends in the program so it counts. :) I'd say this is a bit of networking and hey the people at work would be proud that I'd applied skills they constantly teach undergrads about...or I just have cool friends. Anyway, the trip was absolutely delightful (hence the picture of happy jumping people) and the weather was perfect, not too hot and not too cold. We were actually expecting rain, but we were ever so politely informed by an elderly Visitor's Center worker that there was no need to worry because we were in, well, a desert. That never occurred to me while I was preparing for the trip, which is not surprising. All sorts of logic and common sense are out the door in my thought process; it just happens. I had called my dad to inquire of the necessary items I would need for a potentially rainy campout and proceeded to add the BYU poncho, the plastic bags, the extra socks, the extra shoes, the trusty tarp and an actual rain suit (pants and a jacket with an air hole near the neck for ventilation. Nice. They really thought that one through). Turns out it did rain, but it was the typical spit rain native to Utah skies and the poncho worked better against the high winds that plowed through the canyons. I just have to say it, rocks rock and really huge rocks are even better. The canyons were phenomenal and made me hold my breath in awe as we scaled them and looked out over the land, grasping our minuteness and marveling in the majesty of God.

Absorbing the beauty of the earth that weekend made me think of a scripture. Yes, I am going to be spiritual on a blog. Anyway, it just articulates the feelings I had when I stood on this large rock at the start of our hike to Chesler Park.

D&C 88:45-47
45 The earth rolls upon her wings, and the sun giveth his light by day, and the moon giveth her light by night, and the stars give their light, as they roll upon their wings in their glory, in the midst of the power of God.
46 Unto what shall I liken these, kingdoms, that ye may understand?
47 Behold, all these are kingdoms, and any man who hath seen any or the least of these hath seen God moving in his majesty and power.


Absorbing mother earth with friends = happiness

Witnessing God's majesty and his love for all of us = happiness

No comments: