Wednesday, August 5, 2009

change is inevitable

Lately my conversations sound like this: "Well, I got hit by a car last Monday..." It's funny to say that and have it be something that actually happened to me. Ok, that was insensitive of me to use the word funny...let me appease your uneasiness and substitute funny with "weird". It's still a little strange for me to hearken back to last week and my stroll to the Creamery on 9th with my roommate. Every time I recall the event for each curious friend my mind swirls through these surreal images of car lights in the night and throbbing pain amidst the cries of the distressed driver "I am so sorry, I am so sorry I am so sorry."

Despite his apologies there wasn't much either one of us could do about the situation. I remember absentmindedly telling him "It's ok" and he retorted with "No! It's not ok" which I responded "Well, there's not much we can do about it now." That's where the title for this post comes in. No matter what kind of plan you set up for yourself change is inevitable. It's not a bad thing and I'm not being emo about my accident, I'm just stating the fact that change is inevitable and I've accepted it. There has been a multilicity of changes in my life since that summer night:

1. My body clock is off and I wake up a 3am almost every morning if I'm not wiped out from the pain killers
2. My renal system is on overdrive and I'm told by the nurses that it's because of the fluid build up in my foot
3. I watch movies almost every day
4. I use crutches
5. I'm pretty sure my right calf will be huge by the time school starts from all the hopping I do
6. For the entire month of September I will have to jump on my left foot to make my legs match in their muscle distribution
7. I learned from my aunt that my pain killers are sold in the Utah-Poser-Kids-Drug-Market and that I can make money from selling them and that lots of athletes will sign fake doctor notes to get more drugs because they're addicted. Don't worry, I'm no addict.
8. Plastic surgery seems to make the guys pay more attention to me. hahaha. (mind you, I got a plastic surgeon to perform surgery on my left foot. take note ladies.)
9. I get piggy back rides up and down the three flights to my apartment
10. People say the same joke to me or call me the same names - gimpy, handi, cripple. I mean come on people, give me something original.
11. Grey's Anatomy has given me a different perspective about my injury and my pending recovery. I mean really, there's an episode with a pole going through two people. I'll take my "degloved" left foot any day.
12. I have a changed perspective on everything. If you want to be wise get hit by a car.

No comments: